Thursday, March 17, 2005

Cambridge - reminded!

Today I went out in the afternoon .. this was not the first time I went out in the city beautiful - Chandigarh .. but today was different. The weather was too perfect to drive anyone out of the four-walled boundary .. and when I went out to the streets I could not help remembering my good old Cambridge days.

It was very windy .. making me feel a bit cold .. the sun was always there in the sky but hardly one could feel its existence. It was cloudy, too .. but the wind was overwhelming .. the trees were unable to hold their leaves ..

as one walks pass the broad roads .. stepping on the dry leaves on the footpath .. the very sound that comes out is perhaps one of the most soothing feelings one can have .. and I could not help remembering the days I have spent walking on the backside of my college, St Edmund's .. the narrow curved path that opens to the New Hall .. the iron gate .. our famous border .. with which I have so many memories associated to ..

or on the pedestrian path in the backs, by the Queen's Road, leading towards the University Library.. the memories are so vivid in my mind that I can at once be there in my Cambridge days in early winter .. the footpaths full with the fallen dry leaves .. a cup of coffee in a coffee shop that overlooks the street through its glass door where one sees a small tree getting rid of its dry leaves at once takes you to the hight of creativity .. you discover a writer or a poet in yourself!

And that reminds of the picture that my friend once took .. the dry leaves gathered in front of the iron gate .. the snap which I laughed at the first time I saw it .. and later on began admiring the idea/romanticism that went into it ..

Returning home in the evening with a heavy heart .. for such a lovely spring evening has passed by .. for the fact that my nice stay here in this beautiful city is coming to an end .. again I shall be there in the 'madding crowd' .. all these thoughts were making the 'coming back' even more emotional .. perhaps it was the perfect ending to a nice short chapter of my life .. of new experiences .. of new friends and new surroundings .. all the things that I am leaving behind .. taking along with me some sweet memories that I shall treasure forever ..

* * *

By and large it was a wonderful evening .. a nice feeling that I had after a long long time .. the unkonwn musician blowing the pipe on the Bridge street (in Cambridge) near the Boot's shop .. the music that I never admired when I was there .. is coming to my mind .. a memory that is so tangible .. I wish I could have been there with my friend in one the many random walks that we would have had ..

one repentance .. that I could not photograph such a wonderful evening in my camera .. but after a second thought I have come to the realisation .. that it is perhaps better not to have everything stored in a machine .. for then it becomes too formal .. rather keeping these memories to myself is a better option .. It's foolish to 'machinise' your feelings .. you simply can't do that!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bhisma Chakrabarti said...

and cambridge misses you too, my friend!the evening you wrote this, two people in cambridge- who had not yet read your post- met for dinner, and talked of past times. and of the famousgate between st ed's and new hall.
memories, when strong enough ,constitute what we call telepathy.

5:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home