Tuesday, June 22, 2004

New involvements

Another day has gone by ..

These days I am literally jobless and am spending time aimlessly. The only good thing I have been doing is I am reading "Sei Samay" by Sunil Ganguly. This is considered to be a very well researched novel depicting Calcutta in the nineteenth century. The Babu culture, the origin of Brahma Samaj founded by Debendranath Tagore, adoption of Chritianism among Bengali youth, eg. Madhusudan Dutt, the agony of the "bidhaba" (widow) at their teenage, Vidyasagar's activities as the principle of Sanskrit college... I frankly confess that hitherto my knowledge about the forefathers at the time of renaissance of Bengal was confined to a few names like Rammohan and Vidyasagar. I did not really know about the contribution of many other Bengalees at the same oeriod - eg. Ramgopal Ghosh, Daksminaranjan Mukherjee, Radhakanto Deb, Jogamohan Sarkar, Radhnath sarkar, Debendranath Thakur, and those elightened Britishers like Drink Walter Bethun, David Hare. Of course I knew the names earlier but did not have any idea about the efforts the did put into to overcome the oppositions exixtant in the Bengali conservative Bengali society at that time. Hats off to Sunil for such a research made on the ancient Calcutta. The beauty of it is you never feel that you are actually reading a piece of history as owing to the high literary power of the novel.

I have really fallen for the book ..

Meanwhile I have been addicted to another habit of watching movies. I am literally watching each and every movie coming to the halls these days. In a very short time I have watched Main Hoon Na, Yuva, Hum Tum, Lakhsya (in Hindi) and Day after tomorrow, Harry Potter and the prisoners of Azkaban (in English). Some six movies in less than a month! I am certainely addicted.

The rest of the time I am spending in front of computers .. sending emails, chatting, sms-ing and spreading out myself through all sort of free sites - Orkut, Blogger, Tripod. Hah! What a life I am spending these days ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home