Thursday, June 17, 2004

Monsoon in Mumbai and Mayball at Cambridge

After a long time I came back to my online diary .. well, in the mean time I was of course in touch with my personal diary, which is my very own and with whom I can not possibly be part with ..

But suddenly I felt like expressing certain thoughts in public.

It's been raining heavily for the past a few days in Mumbai ..more than that it has been extremele windy these days .. thanks to the fact that our institute is just beside the Arabian sea. I am enjoying every bit of my presence at the time of the onset of monsoon in Mumbai. There is a charm of observing "asharoshyo prothom dibos" (the first day of Asharh, the month which brings monsoon in to Bengal). The weather definitely makes you poetic and you wish you could write a second "Meghadutam" (a la Kalidasa) :-)

It's the Mayball season in Cambridge.. that brings lot of memories to my mind. Recently two of my friends there expressed two different views of the Mayball this year. One was excited for her first visit to Mayball at Clare's. One is annoyed by the hullabaloo on Bridge street. I am not going into criticism on whether or not Mayball forms an indispensible part of Cambridge student life. Let me recollect a few of my memories at St Ed's days during Mayball.

In my first year I spent the evening very lonely, as my close friend went to Clare's with his batch of lawyers and I remember looking towards the crowd thorugh the little window of F5. They were all dressed up well. Even the least atrractive girl in our college was looking gorgeous. They were all standing in the queue that moved towards the garden. The queue was exactly below my window. I spent some three hours just staring at them. Then I went to our computer room and could not remember of doing any great thing on that day. But I cooked myself that evening, alone - dal, and rice probably. I think I had an hour long chat with Avishek da after dinner.

Last year, during this time, I was seriously in trouble as I was down with an illness and could hardly move. Though I had the pleasure of the forthcoming event - that my parents were about to come in less than a week's time. But in the last year my friend and I did witness the Mayball celebrartion of St John's through the window of the Okinaga Tower of St Ed's which was according to my friend the best place in Cambridge to look ar the fireworks of John's.

Well, this much I could gather as of now.. I shall see you shortly ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home